April 13, 2010

How I found the Lake House

I came to Tampa a short while ago. I felt I was called here, but when when I got here I wasn't sure why I was here or what I was doing here. I ran into someone on the streets who like me was homeless. We were walking by hyde park and ran into some ladies handing out some flyers for this place called the underground. I didn't think much of it at the time so I folded up the paper and put it in my pocket. We went to find something to eat and a place to lay our heads for the night. The next day we decided to walk to ybor. Don't know why, I guess we didn't have anything better to do being homeless and all. It was about 1pm and we where tired of walking so we sat in front of this building. This guy came out and said you can come in and watch tv or use the computers, his name was jon. Though at the time we forgot about the piece of paper in our pocket. Jon told us about where we were, told us about the well and the underground and we remembered the lady handing us a flyer about the conference they just had there. He sat with us for a while talking and getting to know each other a little bit. He invited us over to his house for dinner. He called his house the Lake House. At the time I didn't know about micro churches and what they did. I just knew that I needed to go trying to make new friends in Tampa area. I was also trying to find some peace of mind by finding out why I felt called to Tampa. Well we went to dinner at the Lake House and found much more than just dinner. I found friendships and fellowship I've never encountered throughout my travels across the USA. Though I already had the Lord in my life it came even stronger. Jon told me what his community was about, how he had 10 people living together in community and how they try to help the homeless community. I stayed for their time of worship that night and felt a peace that I have never felt. Then and there I wanted to be a part of what they do to help their community in tampa. Even though I am homeless I felt called to stay around and help in any way I could. So jon showed me how I could help and I started to volunteer for with the banquet and again I felt that sense of peace. I still go go over to the Lake House and am friends with everybody there. They are all good and kind people and I've learned a lot from all of them. So thank you lake house, you've changed my life

-Tomas

No comments:

Post a Comment