December 27, 2010

Christmas Time


Above are some of the gifts I made for Christmas gifts this year. Luffah, basil pesto, mint jelly, aloe juice, and vinegar veggies,all with ingredients from our gardens. It really was a great experience for me to feel the freedom (and ability) to make gifts for my family instead of fighting the annual battle with what i always perceive as obligatory materialism and consumption. I really enjoyed Christmas this year and had a great time with my family, Natalia's family, and our community.
Speaking of homemade gifts, David gave me my very own framed death certificate!
Time of death- Any given moment
Body removal service- 1.800.GOT.JUNK
Place of death- ironically close to the hospital.
It was legit looking. Notarized and everything. I love it.

There was also a small (probably a first annual) breakfast at our house on christmas morning for those who had nowhere else to go. I wasn't there but heard from those that where that it was a great time.

I am really glad to be part of a community that always practices hospitality and generosity. I'm glad to be with people that always hold the incarnation as a central reality and model for living. I am thankful for living in a place that is always available to those with nowhere to go. Its a place where 'christmas' seems ordinary and that is special to me. Thank you lake house for making the holidays ordinary. I love you all.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. For all the 'But it's not Christmas without...' comments that are made around this time of year, let ours be '...without making our own gifts' and '...without inviting the neighbors to feast with us' and more innovative traditions in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my homemade gifts, Jon. The mint jelly is really good! I guess not many people know you can "grow" a loofah!! I look forward to using mine. I love having you visit and to me "it's not Christmas without a visit from my kids." I can't help it....I just love you guys!!! Momma

    ReplyDelete