June 10, 2010

The Divine Artist

Over the past few months we at the Lake House have grown as a community and I myself have developed a deeper understanding of what a relationship with God looks like. Throughout my life I have prayed for my life to BE worship to God. Worship is too often used as a verb, that one may "worship God" but to be a life of worship, to live life in the noun sense is dramatically harder. It requires more of us. We must give our lives over to God that he may develop us into worship beings. We have to let Him hold the paintbrush of our lives, because God is the artist!

I have heard that God is the Divine Architect, the Divine Engineer of creation that set the rules in place, and developed the physics of the universe. I hate that metaphor! It is too cold and inaccurate. I have met many engineers and architects throughout my profession, and they are too often cold and calculating. They are ALWAYS law enforcing....you must stick to the rules or try again. This is not the God I see. I see an artist that paints creation with brush strokes, and sculptures the Earth with His mind (Adam was molded out of clay, Eve chiseled out of bone). His mind is not bound with limits of physics, physics is merely the canvas He chose to paint upon. Our lives are within that canvas, our heart a a piece of the fabric that God paints upon. We always want to control the sculpture, and choose where the chisel is hammered. He will allow us, we have the right to choose our path and say no to the divine artist, just as an man can choose a toddler to paint his portrait over Rembrandt.

It is difficult to choose God to paint our lives. He will point out our imperfections, show us where we stumble. But as any great sculpture, He will smooth out the edges of our lives at the appropriate time. I pray that He may paint the masterpiece of our lives, that He may give us the strength to let go and allow the master to work. It gives me peace to know He holds the colors and we are the canvas of His work.

No comments:

Post a Comment