July 07, 2011

The "Drug Bust" Across the Street



If you google 'tampa restaurants' and look at the map that pops up and zoom in to my neighborhood you won't see any of those red tabs. There are a couple small red dots which are a Checkers and the always delicious 'Gyro Land', a small private food stop. If you look at our same hood but search liquor stores you will see about 8 of those little flags pop up in the same community. Our neighborhood is not unique in this way but is a typical inner-city community. We have lived across from OK Liquors for years now. They do well and have a drive through that stays pretty busy. People walk over from every direction in the neighborhood pretty regularly. There are often groups of people congregated on the corner next to it.
I am sickened by the way I have seen addictions wreck the lives of people that I love, people that Jesus loves too. I hate that our neighborhoods possibly most thriving small business is a liquor store. I am disturbed by the glowing temptation that this place is to those in a recovery house not even a block from it. I guess I should rejoice that this place is closed....at least for now. I am still sad to see the lights out on the building and the corner becoming docile. I am sad to see our neighbors put into police cars for any reason. I am sad that its all over such a stupid thing. I am praying for our neighbors that ran the store & I am praying for our neighbors that depended on the store.

Jesus, would you break the chains of addiction in our neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment