January 31, 2011

The Foreshadow of A Meaningful Journey

There was something fitting about fasting while spending the very first 4 hours of my Underground internship at the HUB today. I sat in the cafe, observed the lounge, reclined at my desk in a dimly lit, yet slightly cozy room and pounded away on the keys as I mapped out goals and dreamed of what could be in regards to the Well. Something in me came alive. Something in me was awakened. I rarely feel like I am where I'm supposed to be, but it is a glorious thing when I do, and today I had that feeling. I'm sure it won't always be like that, but today seemed like a sweet kiss from God as if to say "Yes, Ryan. You made the right decision. Well done. You're on the right track." And then I hurried off to Big Brother Big Sisters where I conducted my first interview with a volunteer. My supervisor observed me and gave me great feedback afterward. I was very encouraged and I felt like, "Man, I can actually do this!" Then I was anxious the rest of the day because files continued to pile up on my desk faster than I could I knock them out. I feel like I'm behind, but i know I'm not. This is just the nature of social service: ample work and not enough staff. What should be a week long process to enroll volunteers is really a 3-5 month process. As the day came to a close, I worked a little extra but resisted the temptation to spend the night at the office. Instead, I came home and went for a nice, long run along Bayshore with Skippy. I feel as is my life is starting to take off, so to speak. I feel as if God is putting his foot on the gas and answering my longing to make every moment significant. He has already given me the opportunity. It's just a matter of seizing it. Often I hesitate. But he is good and patient and always keeps his hand extended, and the knowledge of that humbles me. I'm grateful for him. I'm grateful that he gives lowly man, who is of the earth, the opportunity to live meaningful lives before him, to do something that counts in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment